Friday, August 14, 2009

6 months!


Hey all!
I have been in Zambia for almost 6 months, so I am on my way to In Service Training in Lusaka.
Things at site have been great, I love it there so much and everything is wonderful. I am working hard with Lister and my host mother on reading and writing in English and we read together almost every day. Lister is making amazing progress!

The nursery schools are still going really well. They took a field trip to my house to see my cat, and I got to see them all walk like a cat, meow like a cat, pet the cat, and count its legs. Too adorable for words. The teachers are working overtime to catch them up to the government school terms so that the kids old enough to go into grade 1 will be better prepared to start in january. I am really proud of the teachers for all their hard work and enthusiasm.

Thank you to everyone who has sent things to me and for the nursery school, it is all very very very much appreciated!!!

In other village news, I got a new bafwa (bathing shelter) because my first one had holes in it (not very condusive to private bathing, huh?). I also am having my toliet replaced for the same reason, and my garden fence was almost finished when I left site! So I should be able to start my new garden when I get back.

I got the chance to connect with my host kids more; we got to make makish masks from the packages you sent and the markers. They absolutely loved it.



With the kids I also started a "trade condoms for balloon" program because they use condoms (sometimes used ones...gross, right?) to make balloons. So I will trade any kid that comes to my house a condom for a real balloon. Hopefully it catches on.

Otherwise things are great and I hope you are all doing well!

No comments: